The Medela Swing is in the category known as the “mini-electrics”. They are the lightest, most portable single electric pumps in the entire Medela line. Originally designed for use in hospitals, the Swing is the only single personal use breast pump with Medela’s unique 2-Phase Expression® technology which is proven to increase milk flow and reduce your pump time. We all know time is a very precious commodity to new mothers.
The Medela company is known for its commitment to supporting breastfeeding and spreading the word that breast milk as the optimal nutrition for the growth, development and health of babies worldwide. While the reviews for all Medela’s breast pump product line are not favorable, they are known for a quality yet fairly expensive product.
Most consumers will tell you, you get what you pay for and that’s true with Medela. One of the complaints is that their pumps are not a closed system, which means there is some worry about cross-contamination by moisture getting into the tubes thus getting into the motor.
One thing that may help is the tubing supplied with the Swing is compatible with the tubing for the Medela Symphony. The only difference is the length. Most consumers would not think this would make a difference but it does. It will actually completely alleviate the problem that causes the backflow of milk into the tubes.
Since Medela tubes are sealed, it’s very hard to clean/sterilize them so you often have to replace them anyway. The original tubing is 28 inches long, the Symphony tubing is 42 inches and works incredibly well.
The Medela Swing comes with two collection containers with lids, a stand, 1 valve, 3 membranes, 1 SoftFit breast shield, 1 carry along bag, breastfeeding usage guide, battery or AC adapter power option, tubing, a belt clip with strap for the neck/shoulder (for pumping while mobile) and clearly written instructions.
- Less time pumping with more milk expressed when pumping at Maximum Comfort Vacuum™ in the expression phase.
- The only single electric personal breast pump using 2-Phase Expression® technology
- Safe and comfortable from home or while out at work or traveling
- Comes with convenient travel bag
- High quality while still remaining cost efficient
- One year limited warranty
- All parts that are in contact with the milk are 100% BPA Free
- Very lightweight and portable at only 2.5 pounds
- Extremely quiet
- Multiple power options
- Convenient compact size
- Extremely simple to operate – four buttons
- Expensive compared with other single pump competition
- Cords and tubing do not fit securely to the pump or the flange/bottle
- The flange does not last and loses shape/rips easily after a few months of normal use